Pages

14.2.12

Review: Pelle Journal

Some things are so luxurious you only have to say their name and you can almost taste, feel or smell them.  Leather is one of those luxuries, and the Pelle Journal is a luxury but also very practical.  

I haven't owned a beautiful leather journal since my daughter bought me one for my birthday in 1991, or I bought myself the Charing Cross with pencil (pencil now lost) in 1990.

Bottom to top: leather journal 5x7; Charing Cross; Pelle Burnt Cognac 3x5

I still have the Charing Cross in the right hand drawer of my desk. It contains several notes I've not wanted to transfer elsewhere.  It feels as decadently wonderful today as it did the day I bought it in Wayland Square, Providence, Rhode Island twenty years ago.

It is my hope that the Pelle journal in Burnt Cognac will prove as memorable.  It already seems like a small treasure to both touch and admire.

Pelle Burnt Cognac journal 3x5

Not since I received the Canteo journal has the packaging itself been something to rave about.  In cello, in a linen or muslin bag and in a flip carton with some simple instructions, and two elastics--one in a beautiful shade of lime and the second in a dark, but matching brown.  Then voila:  the journal.



I tested four pens, three fountain pens and one roller ball.  The three fountain pens are a Reform with a narrow fine and Noodler's Violet Vote ink; Noodler's Ahab with Rohrer & Klingman Bordeaux ink; the Namiki Falcon Resin housing a soft fine with Noodler's Kung Te Cheng ink, and finally one of my favourite on the go roller balls, the Rotring Tikky (available at Jet Pens).

All of the pens were used normally, and there was only a trace of a shadow on the plain paper.  Refill inserts are available in plain, lined, grid and drawing at Pelle or Jet Pens.


Jet Pens has been carrying the Pelle for quite sometime, and recently had an exclusive interview with Andy Park , founder of Pelle Inc.  And Office Supply Geek did a great job posting photographs, something I am struggling with now as my camera appears to be more and more uncooperative.

Disclosure: This small Burnt Cognac Pelle was supplied by the manufacturer; however, the review is as unbiased as a user can be.

3 comments: