Pages

1.11.09

Review: Anne Bagby's DVD

Anne Bagby DVD Cover

I finally sat down and viewed the Anne Bagby DVD the other day, and wanted to share some of my impressions.

This was my first artist DVD, and I really had no idea what to expect. The DVD runs about 1-1/2hrs, probably half as long as a conference workshop.

Anne seemed rushed at first, but started to relax into the process after about 15 minutes. However, the project instructions were incomplete because of the time constraints placed on the DVDs running time.

I did, however, get the substance of Ms. Bagby's general approach to collage making, if not the finished product(s).

I found it intriguing how various artists, many of whom I admire, approach collage so differently. Having not long ago bought Ann Baldwin's collage book, it was remarkable to see where similarities and differences abound between these two Ann(e)s--in content and approach.

Ms. Bagby's technical approach is very inventive, more so than I imagined, or rather in ways I hadn't fathomed. If anything I would compare her inventiveness to Jonathan Talbot, and his classic adhesive methods. While the two artists' methods differ widely, they both accomplish similar goals--a smoother surface.

Jonathan mastered ways in which to adhere collage elements with medium, and has a terrific, book on the subject. His workshops are filled with all that he has learned--nothing spared. In 2-1/2 days, (not 1-1/2 hrs), I came away with a trunk full of ideas, and mastery of his technique.

I doubted that I would have the same experience from a DVD, but the cost of lodging, transportation and the time necessary for a workshop is often prohibitive--so a DVD purchase seemed an acceptable alternative.

Can I now modify Anne Bagby's approach to benefit my own collage work?

Probably!

Her use of stencils, masks and rubber are truly utilitarian; the materials she uses accessible and affordable. Her vision is her own but the technical approaches she demonstrates can easily be incorporated into one's own work.

What I liked about Talbot's approach, and what I learned from Bagby, is how to more seamlessly integrate collage elements. Both approaches take preparatory time that some collage artists circumvent.

I've seen in my own work that the time I spend preparing materials gets me a better finished result. Having seen Anne Bagby's process, I may be able to use some of her techniques to streamline my own approach, an adaptation of my own.

Do I recommend the DVD?

Yes, if you are interested in building your collage technique repertoire and admire Ms. Bagby's work.

3 comments:

  1. I was so happy to read this review. I have been hesitating to buy both of Anne Bagby's DVD's because money is tight but I do love her work. I have never "taken a DVD class" either but this sounds like a decent alternative to travel, hotel, etc. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete