Pages

28.5.09

Books: Mannahatta


Tompkins Square Park, NYC

Tompkins Square Park, NYC

Here's a book I'd like to own, Mannahatta, a rediscovery of New York at the time of Henry Hudson's landing 400 years ago.

Many years ago when I was considering buying an abandoned house facing Tompkins Square Park with no for sale sign, I went downtown to see if I could find the owner.

I never found the owner, but what I did find were the most intricate, aged, fascinating maps of the City of New York. Where the Park is now, filled with trees, had once been the site of a long, narrow stream.

2 comments:

  1. just wanted to thank you for the comment, I couldn't remember if I did? :)
    your blog looks interesting, but I am late for work, I look forward to browsing through it later!
    take care
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Trish, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete