Pages

11.11.08

Civility in Journalism: Bill Moyers

A former The Nation subscriber, I get updates on a regular basis. Mind you, I love The Nation, but I just can't keep up with the paper that arrives in my mailbox day after day and allowed my subscription to lapse--temporarily.

Two Nation writers spoke on Friday night (November 7) on Bill Moyers' Journal about politics, the newly elected President, and shared their POVs in a most civil, literate and informative manner.

Both Professor and historian Eric Foner and Professor and attorney Patricia J. Williams sat with Mr. Moyers and had a discussion.

Of an age myself, it often disappoints me how journalism has become not only partisan, but hysterically loud, and often personal.

This week it was more than evident when several reporters outed themselves as either Democrat or Republican. One Republican was so obvious I nearly sat down to write her a note suggesting she modulate and start moderating.

The criticism directed at Fox News of partisanship is as prevalent on MSNBC and elsewhere. It is difficult to sort through the hay to find the nugget of fact anymore.

I miss the likes of Chet Huntley, David Brinkley and Walter Cronkite.

No comments:

Post a Comment