Pages

26.11.08

Harvey Milk: Hollywood Style

I'll be interested to see other reviews for comparison to this one in TNR by Christopher Orr. I'll also be curious to hear what folks say about a film made about this martyr of the gay rights movement.

One of the tributes to Mr. Milk is the Harvey Milk High School in New York City. Hetrick Martin Institute ran the school until the City embraced it and made it a part of the Board of Education.

Yet, 30 years after Harvey Milk's death, Prop 8 was passed and hate crimes continue.

I think when I visit New York City next month I'll stop by HMI, not the school, and see how they are doing. I worked directly with the program for about five years and have a great affection for their newest executive director.

I didn't have to wait long for the New York Times review.

A more personal perspective in Salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment