Pages

21.11.08

Holiday Shopping


Having had a long talk with my own children last night in which the subject of gifts turned to decision making, this article in the Washington Post entitled, "Save Now, Buy Later " caught my eye.

I've always been an impulse buyer, but when it came to gift giving, I've taken great pains to ensure that folks I care about and love get what they want. Now what they want may be frivolous or practical, but it is what they wanted that mattered. Sometimes this philosophy was mighty expensive: trips to France, cashmere sweaters, or year-long courses, subscriptions, cameras, amethyst rings, among others.

We have on occasion discussed the vast differences between what we want, and what we need, discussions that from time to time changed gift request lists.

This year we determined, with relief on all sides, that only the under 12 will get gifts, and the over 12 will get eats, love, a big Christmas tree, and lunches out.

No comments:

Post a Comment