Pages

14.11.08

A Man and Artist who understood symbology

A most fascinating look at Michelangelo, again.

The Sistine Secrets: Michelangelo's Forbidden Messages in the Heart of the Vatican," coauthored by Vatican docent Roy Doliner and Rabbi Benjamin Blech, expands and explores the symbols in the Sistine Chapel.

When I was actually studying art, and not playing at it, I went to Italy and sought out everything Michelangelo created. It was a marvelous journey and one that might have been lost on a youth propelling herself from city to city, street to church, church to Cathedral in a frenetic summer if I didn't have a near eidetic memory, and a way of calling up a Florentine street filled with Davids, and an excellent meal in a trattoria with new found friends.

The Vatican on a June day looked like Oz, and the dark chambers of churches with quiet alcoves of Michelangelo sculpture, like the Moses, were palpably alive and might have spoken out from their marble bodies if I had cared to engage them in conversation.

I've put the book on my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment