Pages

19.6.09

Review: Rhodia Webnotebook

The long awaited, 90 g/ Rhodia Webnotebook is receiving much attention and accolades on the net, in particular by fountain pen users.

Biffybeans, and Kooky Chick both did in depth reviews of the two Rhodia Webnotebook sizes, Biffybean's covering the larger 5.5" x 8.25" size, and Kooky Chick the smaller 3.5" x 5.5" version.

If you aren't a member of the Fountain Pen Network you might not be aware that the right journal, coupled with the proper ink in a favourite pen is like a search for buried treasure. And if you are a fountain pen user, check out the forum and read all the comments coming in on the new, improved Rhodia Webnotebook here.

So what I can add?


I use a wider nib than some and tested the journal with a variety of nibs, top to bottom, three of which run on the very wide side:

  • Lamy Safari, 1.1. nib, Mont Blanc Burgundy Ink
  • Pentel Slicci .40mm nib, Brown gel ink
  • Sharpie with a fine point, close to .40mm, black ink
  • Pelikan 100, medium nib, J. Herbin Lie de The ink
  • Sailor Sapporo, Music nib, Sailor Jentle black ink
  • Pelikan m215, BB nib, Noodler's Violet Vote
  • Sailor m1911, Zoom nib, Sailor Nano Carbon ink

The good, the bad and my own preferences:

The excellent Clairefontaine 90g paper in an off-white is smashing and among my favourites. The construction is excellent but as Biffybean noted in her review, the stitching is tight and hence the journal I have does not lay flat. The line width is compatible with my larger handwriting, but I would prefer an unlined or even a graph version.

Generally I use a larger journal, more on the size of a 5.5" x 8.5" and it is difficult for me to write in a journal half the size as a daily user. I am afraid it will get less use than it deserves. However, it may be a good substitute for another journal I've been using for project notes which I've nearly finished, and as this size is not cumbersome to carry in a bag or even a pocket, it can be a second but loved fiddle.

Not particularly keen on logos, I think Rhodia would have done better to restrict theirs to the front and/or back covers. I advocate less is more!

Speaking of covers, I like the feel and look of the cover--it has a more classy look than most journals and is sensually appealing.

Overall, I think Rhodia has a winner and that many journal users will find the Webnotebook their grail. As a reviewer I give the Rhodia Webnotebook an A; as a user I'll give the journal a B+.

Check the Exaclair, Rhodia Drive and Quo Vadis sites periodically for updates on availability and pricing.

And I suggest you encourage your brick and mortar, or online vendor to get you one as soon as they land in the States. I suspect they will sell out fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment