Pages

27.1.09

The Irony of Economics

Good for Andrew Cuomo, reported to be investigating some big fat bonuses to the Merrill Lynch and Bank of America executives whilst crying poverty.

While these guys got some hefty bonuses, others are selling their hair and lining up at Blood Banks for $25.00.

I can't remember the name of the story, but it is one that speaks volumes to values: a woman sells her hair; her husband sells his watch bob, each wishing to please the other with a gift.

I'll have to see if I can find the author and title.

PS. It's trying not remembering everything I'd like to recall. The story is "The Gift of the Magi" by O.Henry, on line for all to read.

2 comments:

  1. Clarissa Pinkola Estes tells the story on her audio tape The Gift of Story.

    I found my way to your blog from another blog and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I don't recall hearing the Estes tape but I'll check on its availability at the library.

    ReplyDelete