Pages

5.10.08

A different sort of Soennecken

If I could start all over, and think collection rather than an assortment of fountain pens, I'd probably keep it simple and German.

Each day, my Pelikans and Pelikanos (when in use) start without fuss or bother. All are ready to write on first scratch even after days of idleness and all flush rather easily. They are so easy to hold, write with, and on a tactile level alone, they feel good to the touch.

My Lamys also start easily and prove nearly flawless in their ease of use. I have the usual assortment, Safari, Vista, Ratio and a CP1.

So if I sold or gave away nearly ever other pen, and was 30 years younger, I'd try to snatch a few Geha, Osmia, Soennecken, early school Pelikans like the 100 and keep to under twenty (20) pens total.

At present and according to my Fountain Pen Inventory, I have about fifty-five pens, use fewer than 10 and only get excited when I use the Lamys, Pelikans, my Sheaffer Vac, Waterman Twist and strangely my Sensa Meridian and Libelle Autumn. Again it may be tactile, nib width or some other idiosyncratic issue but I have no desire for Japanese pens. I do occasionally covet a vintage pen or three made in the USA or Great Britain.

I suppose it was a good catch to get the new Parker Duofold Centennial, but frankly, I don't find it to be the best writer and it does not start easily in the morning although I've tried to keep it in regular rotation.

But, I am not thirty years younger, it is not possible to sell all these other pens, or at least not easily, and I will have to be content with my past decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment