Pages

1.1.09

After the fact: Sarah Palin

In summing up its 2008 best, this article by Noam Scheiber in The New Republic on Sarah Palin is as revealing as the review by Rollyson on Deborah Martinson's Hellman biography, but for different reasons.

And as much as I admired Lillian Hellman, liar or truthsayer, and prevaricator, I loathe Sarah Palin for the very reasons touched on in Scheiber's article. In my elitist East Coast mind, she represents the other, as in hers I represented the enemy.

But whatever my personal sentiments, these insights into the Governor's personal life, earlier than she was introduced on the national stage, are remarkable in their capacity to shine a light on how our behavior is so ingrained that even reason can and is often cast aside.

Perhaps if we had fewer Joe the Plumber stories, and less vitriol on Palin's part about regional differences (read bias) and fewer assaults on her opponent as a terrorist, she might have become the 1st female Vice President.

However, it was and remains difficult for me to take someone seriously, and as a serious candidate for public office, who can not answer a simple question.

"What newspapers do you read"; wasn't that difficult was it, Governor?

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog. It's a great find for me.

    I do remember that peppery old Lillian Hellman talking trash on the tv.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

    Hellman was a heavy smoker, and a robust drinker--both of which probably increased that pepper. :o

    ReplyDelete