Pages

27.4.09

...am I done buying fountain pens?

Pilot 823 via Stylophiles

Marlen Basilea

Perhaps one more pen and I am done, overdone, exhausted and sated with fountain pens.

Since buying the Sailor Sapporo, I've become more intrigued with Japanese pens and the Pilot 823 sounds like a very superior pen for a big bunch of bucks.

But, and that is a big but, it is clear as the nose on my face that I don't want to buy another fountain pen without holding it in my hand. If Karen hadn't shown me her Sailors, and I hadn't actually had a Sapporo in my hand at the Fountain Pen Hospital, I'm not certain I would own one today.


While I've been ogling the Marlen Basilea for months, it won't get purchased if I can't find one in the wild. Interestingly, a member of the Fountain Pen Network has one up for sale now, but not with a nib I want or a price I am willing to pay for a pen I haven't held and has been used.

In evaluating the two, I might go for the Marlen if I can find one during my travels because (a) it is different, Italian and (b) a colour combination that appeals to my aesthetics. I also believe it may have rhodium trim.

I also suspect the Pilot is not substantially different from the Sailors, although I could be proven wrong.

Perhaps I'll have my head examined just thinking of another fountain pen purchase, or perhaps after I buy all the grand-kids gifts this month, I'll decide that the coffers are more than bare and forgo all thoughts of anything but a Pentel Slicci.

Who knows!

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I've been drooling over the Marlen Basilea ever since I saw it on your site. Impulsively (perhaps foolishly), I saw it available at Mel's Pens and ordered one before realizing the shop is located in Kaula Lumpur (doh!). They do have a return policy and seem on the up and up, we'll see...

    Thanks again for the site,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love the pen. It is so so darn appealing to me.

    I think I've only heard good things about MelsPens.

    If you can do report back on your own experience with this new fountain pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea! about Buy Fountain Pens Thanks for posting this.
    Awesome job !!! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can the nib assembly on a Marlen Basilea be unscrewed for cleaning as is done for Pelikan and Aurora pens. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps one of the Marlen's do have a removable nib, but the one I have (and not the one pictured here, does not).

      Delete