Pages

10.4.09

Books: Ludmila Ulitskaya


Ludmila Ulitskaya, currently on the faculty of Middlebury, received numerous and prestigious awards, including the Russian Booker.

But until I read an excerpt in the Spring '03 NMWA journal, I was unaware of her writing.

A Russian national, few of her books are available in English, and little information appears on the net.

What attracted my attention to the writer, and person, was how she successfully moved from a career in science to theatre and ultimately to fiction writing and now teaching.

And teaching at one of the more prestigious New England colleges, known for its writing program is no small feat; staffed by several excellent writers, including one of my favourite Latina writers, Julia Alvarez.

If I were still in Vermont I'd consider auditing a lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment