Pages

20.4.09

Black Bear in the Front Yard

Photo by Joseph Stepko, Post Gazette © 2006


It seems that the black bear population is increasing in Pennyslvania.

We had a suspicious out of range visitation yesterday on the front yard--fumbled, fallen bird feeder and a crushed metal compost container--too much destruction for a wild turkey, deer or rodent.

My front door flew open from the wind this morning, and I decided better to be safe than sorry and put a heavy chair in front of the door. I'm thinking of more precautions but haven't figured out what yet. I ain't looking forward to a house guest with black fur.

And frankly, I had enough frights when I lived in New Mexico, where bears are plentiful and often make visitations. On more than one occasion a bear made a hearty meal of a lone householder.

Not pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment