Pages

11.12.08

No fountain pen, just ink

The second day of my short visit to the City, as all New Yorkers call it, I trudged in the rain to the Jewish Heritage Museum on Battery Park. It was a long wet walk from the "R" train and mid-way I had to take off my spectacles because they were so fogged and coated with rain drops I could see better without them.

But it was worth it!

Not only did I get to hear Diane Ackerman's comments on her book, The Zookeeper's Wife, a War Story, but I went up to the 3rd Floor to see the Irene Nemirovsky, "Woman of Letters" exhibit and get more insight into her work and the rescue of her manuscript, turned novel, Suite Francaise.

In addition to listening to how the book came to be, and how Denise Epstein, Nemirovsky's eldest daughter, finally transcribed the work, I saw Nemirovsky's large leather journal, small leather notebook and her pencil case--all of which seemed, even in age, to have been of fine quality, and perhaps even of the same manufacture.

What I didn't discover is what fountain pen she used with the "azure blue" ink she used to write her novel.


And although there was a Q&A after Ackerman discussed her book, the Museum devoted less than half a hour, providing little time for an interactive discussion. If there had been time I might have asked Ms. Ackerman "what fountain pen did Antonina Zabinski use to write her memoir?"

All through The Zookeeper's Wife, Ackerman refers to ink but never does she make a reference to what held the ink.

Two more World War II writers, Nemirovsky and Zabinski who used a fountain pen with no reference.

Mystery 2 and 3 to be added to the unknown Anne Frank pen.


Photograph: Antonina Zabinski

No comments:

Post a Comment