Pages

31.12.08

Unspoken Ownership of a Bridge

I would reckon there are a few bridges many folks wished they owned, and I am one of these people.

Ownership for nostalgia, not gain!

But it seems that one of my three or four favourite bridges is earmarked for demolition.

The Memorial Bridge that spans from the Eastern point of New Hampshire at Portsmouth into Maine is having its share of infrastructure problems and talk is growing of its demise.

I have taken this bridge as many times as I have taken any bridge other than the Queensboro (59th Street), Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridges, and nearly as often as the Jamestown Bridge (RI)--which did see repair and replacement.

I see this as an enormous loss and hope that if a decision is made in favour of its demolition, a replacement is simultaneously, thoughtfully and seriously considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment