Pages

12.12.08

Journals, not loved

After my morning visit at Exaclair, it was difficult to imagine looking at or touching another journal or a piece of paper, but as I don't have many opportunities these days to do just that I took a ride down to Kate's Paperie to check out some journals that had been reviewed on line and sounded promising.

Hidden behind some other leather-like journals were a few lined, cream coloured Ciaks in two sizes and only one cover colour: lime green. I examined one, and touched the paper and withdraw my hand immediately. It did not feel as if it had the smooth surface I love in Clairfontaine and other papers. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. Niet!

Then I found a single Awagami+1, a journal Black Cover reviewed not too long ago, and dismissed it immediately as not for me. The entire appearance did not suit my sensibilities and the paper was on the rough side. Niet!

Barnes and Nobles, Park Slope, did not have the Piccadilly's some online reviewers have raved about, but they did have a Miquelruis that seemed to have my kind of paper but not necessarily the style of journal I prefer. In fact it reminds me a little of the Apica notebooks with a heavier cover. I didn't buy it but if I find myself scribbling through a half dozen or so journals I own in the forthcoming months I might consider it--plain, good size (about 6x8), soft cover and lays flat.

So, except for some stationary that I bought at the Unoppressive Non-Imperialist Bargain Book store on Carmine Street as gifts, I came away with no paper products except the Journal 21 I will review this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Just for the record, Miguelrius has about 100 different books, with 5 different kinds of paper. From what I heard, they run the gamut on being FP friendly. I had 1 that was a waste of money, and another that I don't think I ever used and got rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've only used the small 5s that I bought ages ago at Blick and finished up (spirals).

    ReplyDelete