Pages

6.12.08

And then Education


According to this article in the WP, it appears that outgoing university graduates are flocking to Teach for America.

I've known up front and personal more than a dozen TfA teachers including my own daughter. Some fare well, and go beyond their teaching experience. One TfA member went on to open a charter school, another became the principal of another charter school, while others turn away from teaching altogether.

It isn't easy to teach in hardship communities and I speak from experience as a former public health advocate who worked in these same communities.

I admire these young adults who take it on, and glad the program exists. It was always a pleasure when one of them called and asked for a donation, and fortunately I was most often able to comply with the bricks and mortar stuff I collect: paper, pencils, pens and rubber bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment