Pages

13.12.08

The Pens I didn't buy

I'm sure there were others, but the fountain pens I wanted to see where: Conklin's Victory, Marlen's Basilea, Conklin's Mark Twain, a Raspberry Lamy Al-Star and what the Fountain Pen Hospital might have in vintage.

The Conklin Victory on line looked like a small rocket that might be headed for a good write, but when I saw it up close and held it, it seemed more like a throw away than a stay by my side. Passed!

Fountain Pen Hospital didn't have an in store Conklin Mark Twain or Marlen full size Basilea, but I did get a peek at the Conklin's at Kate Paperie. If I were in for the penny, I might have bought it but as I am in conservation mode, and I couldn't ink at Kate's, it got passed up.

The Raspberry Al Star isn't a must have so unless I get an itch later on for an aluminum Lamy, it too is now relegated to the back burner.

There was one moment that I thought about a Pelikan M400 that was a window model and at a dirt cheap price, but as it was grey and I already have my '91 Pelikan M200 in the same colour, I left it for another good consumer. However, if it had been a Tortoise, I would have sung for my supper.

What I wasn't expecting is the Sailors and now, of course, I am obsessing over getting one or both the full size Sapporo and the 1911. Karen's 1911 writes beautifully, and the Sapporo was a delight in the hand.

I've gotten 3 quotes on line, and all work out about the same, with discounts, shipping and/or tax, to be within a five dollar margin of the Fountain Pen Hospital's offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment