Pages

6.12.08

Carrying a fountain pen


Last night exhausted from painting walls, and going up and down two flights of stairs for molding cuts, I grabbed a box of old Crane stationary that I discovered in a huge pile of loose card and started to write a few lists.

The paper is thick, claims to be ivory and has a fine watermark.

All the pens on my cart accepted this marriage of pen, ink and paper without a belch.

So it got me thinking, dangerous after midnight.

What three pens will I use for the upcoming paper experiment and which two pens will I take to New York.

And why?

I discovered after awhile that two pens were making a neck to neck run to the finish line for ease of use and good line: Rotring 600 FI and Senator President B.

The Senator President was a happy surprise, a smooth writer, easy in the hand, bold nib, easy to fill piston. Since I received him on 27 October, I have grown very fond of his presence in rotation and do hope that someday I'll find an end-cap to keep him warm.

The Rotring 600 on the other hand that I've had only since 12 November was at first a great disappointment. I found the nib too narrow and not lovable. But he, too, is growing on me and the pen's razor sharp, consistent strokes, firmness in the hand, and adaptability to ink is quite the bonus.

These two will probably come with me to New York.

For the paper testing, I'll be using Tanzanite, Amethyst and Concord Bream, Private Reserve, Levenger and Noodlers, respectively. Private Reserve's Tanzanite is among my favourites; Levenger Amethyst is new to me, and I loathe the Concord Bream I got in an exchange.

The inks were pre-selected by the proctor.

Now for matching pens.

Fine nibs generally create less havoc on paper, but I prefer wider nibs. So in the interest of a challenge, I'll use both and see how the paper tests fare.

I think I'll use a Lamy Safari with a B nib for the Tanzanite, the Rotring 600 with the Levenger Amethyst and still undecided for the Bream.

Lots of flushing to do this weekend.

PS - Flushed the White Lamy Safari B and the Rotring 600. The Amethyst leaked three times since I filled it. And I think I'll use one of my Sensa Meridian's for the Bream and just not fill it up completely. The Noir seems to be almost out of ink. These three pens will give variety: Fitalic, M and B.

2 comments: